Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mid-week meal and a mess

Nothing like a mid-week snow storm to throw the whole routine out the window. Yesterday, we got about 10-12 inches of snow. Last year we got much, much more but this year's snow was wet and heavy. I believe there are more limbs down in the neighborhood today than there were all of last winter. We fared okay, we didn't lose any tree limbs we couldn't live without, although our holly trees took some hits. Also, while last year's storms passed without even the mere flicker of a power outage, we were in the dark for close to 24 hours this time and had to sleep in the den, as the only heat we had came from our gas fireplace. Thus was our life temporarily reduced to this. Whoever designed the modern headlamp should have a star named after them.


The snow storm hit at rush hour last night, which made T's commute home miserable. I was kindly let out early and no joke, the second I put the vehicle into reverse to head up our driveway was when the first piece of sleet hit the hood. How lucky is that. I decided to get MP exercised before the real snow started to fall. Good thing too.


This is MP's annoyed, "When are you going to take me on my run woman?" face. Note the tell-tale signs of anxious, fence pacing.


This is one happy dog and the beginning of the snow storm.


This is a still happy dog, taken by a wet, cold and slightly miserable owner later on in the snow storm. 

Tonight after the power came on, I made the meal I had intended to make last night. Hong Kong style cake noodle, as the restaurants in Hawaii call it.


I used these noodles.

Over the weekend I chopped the following: Garlic, green onions, snap peas, Chinese cabbage. To this mix I added bean sprouts and Enoki mushrooms. I also bought a pound of Char Siu (roast pork with a red glaze), sliced it and cleverly hid it from T during the course of the week because for a good southern boy, he is a Char Siu fiend.

Therefore, tonight all I had to do was stir-fry the veggies and meat.


And dry fry the noodles.


And this was the result. Tonight's was the best cake noodle I have ever made by far. I ate mine with dou miao, or pea shoots, one of my favorite seasonal Chinese greens, tender and sweet.


Enjoy the electricity in your life. You don't realize how much you rely on it until it is gone.

1 comment: